Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FS Water Configurator Public Preview (DX9 and DX10 compatible)  (Read 24918 times)
Orion
Poseidon

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2014, 03:02:31 AM »

This release is a public beta of the successor to the ill-fated FSWC+, and includes all water modifications that were previously planned (with the exception of high blend curve settings as well as specular focus, gain, and blend, which are still coming soon).  In addition to the new water modifications available for DirectX 9, this build also supports DirectX 10 with the same feature set, and adds additional options to adjust whitecap probability and intensity.

Features:

• Ability to adjust the following water settings:
    • Reflections:
      • Horizon Reflection Intensity
      • Vertical Reflection Intensity
      • Reflection Blend Curve Multiplier
      • Reflection Distortion Intensity (new)
    • Base Texture:
      • Base Texture Color Saturation
      • Base Texture Color Brightness (new)
      • Diffuse Shading Dynamic Response (DX9) (new)
    • Waves (new):
      • Wave Scale (Size) (new)
      • Wave Speed (new)
      • Wave Height (new)
      • Whitecap Probability (DX10) (new)
      • Whitecap Intensity (DX10) (new)
    • Specular:
      • Sun Specular Intensity
      • Moon Specular Intensity
      • Moon Glow Intensity
  • Automatic file backup before modification
  • Support for saving, editing, and loading presets
  • Intuitive user interface

Usage:

Everything you see in the user interface is functional.  Drag sliders around to select different water settings, and click the Apply button when you want to set the settings in the simulator.  If you're using DirectX 9 and the simulator is running while you apply new settings, changes will take effect as soon as you resize the simulator window or switch between full screen and windowed mode.  If you're using DirectX 10, you must restart the simulator for changes to take effect.  If the simulator is closed, changes will appear the next time you go for a flight.

You can use existing presets, or create your own by using Save As with another preset selected.  You can edit (change the title or description), delete, or save new settings to your own presets.

FS Water Configurator will automatically switch between modifying the DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 water shaders depending on what you last used in the simulator.  Presets are renderer specific, meaning that you will only see presets for DX9 when FSX is in DX9 mode, and only presets for DX10 when FSX is in DX10 mode.  All files will automatically be backed up prior to modification, though as noted in the not yet implemented section, there is currently no way to restore backups through the program's user interface.

Prerequisites:

Addon Compatibility:

• FS Water Configurator is compatible with texture modifications such as Real Environment Xtreme, Flight Environment X, or Active Sky 2012.
  • FS Water Configurator is compatible with Steve Parson's DX10 Scenery Fixer, though FS Water Configurator will overwrite water modifications from DX10 Scenery Fixer.
  • FS Water Configurator is not compatible with shader modifications such as the Shader 3.0 Mod by Jesus "Bojote" Altuve.

Installation:

• Download the file below.
  • Extract the files contained in the ZIP archive into a new folder.

Uninstallation:

• Go to the folder you created in installation step 2 and open the Backup subdirectory.
  • If Water20.fxh exists in the Backup subdirectory, copy it to Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\Terrain\Water20.fxh and let Windows replace the file in the FSX directory with the one from the Backup directory
  • If Water40.fx exists in the Backup subdirectory, copy it to Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\Terrain\Water40.fx and let Windows replace the file in the FSX directory with the one from the Backup directory.
  • Delete the DirectX 9 Terrain Shader Cache directory (%localappdata%\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Terrain) (FSX will rebuild this the next time you go for a flight)
  • Delete the DirectX 10 Terrain Shader Cache directory (%localappdata%\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\Terrain) (FSX will rebuild this the next time you go for a flight)
  • Remove the folder you created in installation step 2.

• The Backup subdirectory and backup files are automatically created when you apply water settings for the first time.
  • %localappdata% is an environment variable typically corresponding to C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME HERE\AppData\Local.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator X refers to the folder you installed Microsoft Flight Simulator X to.

Known issues:

• Water modification ranges have not been tuned and may result in dramatic changes.

Not yet implemented:

• Main program:
    • Non-modal edit preset dialog.
    • Preset specific images for user presets.
  • Settings page:
    • Manual FS directory settings.  This should not generally be a problem, unless your registry entries are incorrect.
    • Ability to restore backups.
    • Ability to turn off preset save and water settings applied confirmation message dialogs.
  • Water settings:
    • Blend curve multiplier above 2.
    • Specular focus, gain, and blend.

Not planned:

• Localization.

Pre-release software:

This is preview software.  Although everything you see in the user interface is functional, the software has not yet been tested on a wide variety of systems, and water modifications have not yet been fully refined.  By downloading and using this software, you understand that things may not function as expected.

License:

You may not redistribute, modify, merge, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the software without express permission. The software is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. In no event shall the authors or copyright holders be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, whether in an action of contract, tort or otherwise, arising from, out of or in connection with the software or the use or other dealings in the software.

Credits:

• Paul Wheeler - water modifications
  • Orion Lyau - software development
  • Steven Frost - beta testing and additional input
  • Dean Donovan - beta testing
  • Justin Rider - beta testing
  • Brandon Filer - beta testing
  • Jim Robinson - beta testing, "Acadia" and "North Atlantic" presets
  • Pete "Navy Chief" - beta testing

Change log:

May 1, 2015 (1.0.1.0)
  • Standalone Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition support
  • Water settings descriptions

Download
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:07:02 PM by Orion » Logged

Phil Bridge
Small Stream

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:17:45 PM »

This is great news - we knew it was on the way, but it was still a nice surprise to see it here, albeit the preview version - thank you   Thumbs Up   I can see it will keep some of us busy for many an hour experimenting with the various settings   Cheesy

Some of the settings are self explanatory, although I'm a bit unsure as to what some of the others do.  For example, Diffuse Shading Dynamic Response, Horizon Reflection Intensity, and so on.  Would it be possible to outline what they all do, please?
Orion
Poseidon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »

I wouldn't be able to -- I don't actually know what the settings do; most of my choices were somewhat random. Stick Out Tongue

You'll have to ask Paul if you want to know how the settings affect the water.  I'll add the descriptions as tooltips once Paul explains them (hence water settings descriptions under not yet implemented).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:58:33 PM by Orion » Logged

Paul Wheeler
Administrator
Poseidon

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »

I will knock up a description for each control as soon as I get a chance.

Phil Bridge
Small Stream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »

Thanks Paul.  I guess the final version will perhaps show the effects of the various settings as you make them in real time, in the image of the user preset?  That would save having to restart FSX every time.   Stick Out Tongue
Orion
Poseidon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »

That's not the plan. To do it accurately would require writing a DirectX rendering engine that matches that of FSX exactly. The way the original FSWC did it was by alpha blending (a fancy way of fading) images, which isn't completely accurate, and was error prone on some systems.

Paul Wheeler
Administrator
Poseidon

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »

Also, in dx10 you have to restart the game to flush the shader cache - unlike dx9 which did it with an alt-tab.

The three disabled sliders are adjusting other settings which require a sim restart no matter which flavour of direct x.

Alemart_the_Redeemer
Small Sea

Yonder moor coveted mine steed!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:31:48 AM »

Hello my most estimated colleagues (and Orion Tongue), as you can see, i have returned.....
Aaaaaand, how is everything going?, i can see you have released a further development of FSWC+.

Raśl Alejandro Molina Rosetti A.K.A.:
Alemart_el_Redentor.
Alemart_the_Redeemer.
Alemart.
Antaeus.
FAA-117
FAAVPilot.
pupae_pedorra.
IMBECIL.

Major, Argentine Virtual Air Force.
Owner, Tsiou L&Sg.

Paul Wheeler
Administrator
Poseidon

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 09:39:34 PM »

Hi Raul - long time, no see!  Thumbs Up

Orion
Poseidon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 04:22:39 AM »

New update available.  Download link available at the end of the first post in this thread.

Change log:

• Standalone Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition support
  • The following descriptions are available as tooltips

Quote from: Paul Wheeler
Horizon Reflection Intensity:

Intensity of the reflections nearest to the horizon (obviously)

Vertical Reflection Intensity:

Intensity of the reflections directly below your viewpoint

Reflection blend curve multiplier

Moves the blend point between the vertical and horizon reflections nearer to the horizon

Reflection Distortion Intensity

Amplifies the distortion effect the bump map wave animation has on the reflections

Base texture colour saturation (colour with a "u" - its [sic] English after all)

Colour intensity of the underlying sea texture

Base texture colour brightness

The Brightness of the underlying sea texture

Diffuse shading dynamic response

Alters how the shading of the sea is affected by time of day - low levels create a more even, duller tone between day and dusk/dawn - high levels creates a wider range of tones between day and dusk/dawn.

Wave scale

Size of the bump map wave animations

Wave speed

Speed of the bump map wave animation

Wave height

increases the relief of the bump map animation

Whitecap Probability

Alters the frequency of whitecaps

Whitecap Intensity

Alters the blend between the whitecaps and the underlying texture

Sun specular intensity

Alters the overall intensity of the sun specular reflections

Moon specular intensity

Alters the overall intensity of the moon specular reflections

Specular Focus

Alters the spread of the specular reflections - greatly alters the intensity requiring adjusting of the gain.

Specular Gain

Alters the intensity of the specular reflections in a much greater range that the "intensity" slider - needed to adjust with focus changes.

Specular Blend

Alters the blend between the specular reflections and the underlying textures

Mood glow intensity

Alters intensity of the milky glow on the sea under a full moon.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:33:01 AM by Orion » Logged

gordonh
Mountain Spring

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »

New update available.  Download link available at the end of the first post in this thread.

Hi Guys,

Download link is no good, any chance of a re-up?

Thanks
Orion
Poseidon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »

Works here.  Try again?

walterg74
Small Stream

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 01:35:50 AM »

Hi Folks,

Been pointed the way of this great program. I downloaded "the original" and have been trying out.

I have BOTH FSX "classic" and FSX Steam Edition, and my challenge is to get some add-ons working in Steam Edition in this dual setup.

What I do when I want to run SE is have my standard FSX registry keys change the paths to point to the SE folders, and so far it's been working great.

In the Case of FSWC, the install found everything just fine, and installed just fine, with the exception of the folders it auto-used for shaders and fsx.cfg, since it used the original ones that were also there.

I changed this, and I have been trying some profiles and it does seem to work ok, however, I am doubting/questioning if anything else needs to be tweaked or something, or for example I don't see it doing anything to my FSX.cfg file... Is it supposed to do something with each change? Or is the change to FSX.CFG only once and then to other files? (and which files would that be so I can check it's actualy changing them).

Also, if I have the sim closed, open configurator and then start it, that should be fine right? I know you are supposed to be able to do changes on the fly and just ALT-TAB out of and into FSX, but since a few days ago (prior to installing this, not related) my FSX crashes everyime I switch to another application Sad

Paul Wheeler
Administrator
Poseidon

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 06:19:39 PM »

It shouldn't change fsx.cfg at all. Just the shower files. If you're seeing changes then its all working ok.

Its fine to change the settings while the sim is closed.

BTW- switching between fullscreen and windowed mode also works to update the shaders when you make changes. This is only in dx9 - dx10 requires a full restart every time.

walterg74
Small Stream

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »

It shouldn't change fsx.cfg at all. Just the shower files. If you're seeing changes then its all working ok.

Its fine to change the settings while the sim is closed.

BTW- switching between fullscreen and windowed mode also works to update the shaders when you make changes. This is only in dx9 - dx10 requires a full restart every time.

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply!

Understood, but what is the reason it wants the fsx.cfg path then?

Regarding the Switching, whike I could definitely try it, I would first have tonswitch to FSWC tonchange to the desired profile, and my problem is FSX crashes when I switch to another app Sad
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: