Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: FS Water Configurator Public Preview (DX9 and DX10 compatible)  (Read 24168 times)
Orion
Poseidon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »

I don't know why the original FS Water Configurator would use it, but the preview of the new FS Water Configurator (the one in the beginning of this thread) uses the fsx.cfg to determine whether you're using DX9 or DX10.

walterg74
Small Stream

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 04:28:55 AM »

I don't know why the original FS Water Configurator would use it, but the preview of the new FS Water Configurator (the one in the beginning of this thread) uses the fsx.cfg to determine whether you're using DX9 or DX10.

Hmmm in that case I would need to make a copy of my fsx_se.cfg as fsx.cfg before running configurator or it won't find it....
walterg74
Small Stream

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 12:33:30 PM »

Hey Paul, sorry but as I am testng out DX10 and the old one doesn't support it, I tried the on on this thread. Would it be correct to say that since SE is supported but standalone, that this version of the configurator doesn't allow to select paths at all and will simply use the standard paths without even looking in the registry? Meaning it will just user what's under the local/microsoft/fsx folder since that doesn't change regardless of fsx install folder?

Asking cause haven't gotten it right yet and since I have a side by side install I would then have to do some folder renaming so the configurator installs the files correctly.

Thanks.
Orion
Poseidon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 09:28:13 AM »

Hey Paul, sorry but as I am testng out DX10 and the old one doesn't support it, I tried the on on this thread. Would it be correct to say that since SE is supported but standalone, that this version of the configurator doesn't allow to select paths at all and will simply use the standard paths without even looking in the registry? Meaning it will just user what's under the local/microsoft/fsx folder since that doesn't change regardless of fsx install folder?

Asking cause haven't gotten it right yet and since I have a side by side install I would then have to do some folder renaming so the configurator installs the files correctly.

Thanks.

Not Paul, but I think I can help.

The FS Water Configurator Public Preview will use the registry to determine the location of FSX -- in particular, the SetupPath key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0.  However, as noted in the original post (relevant section quoted below), there is currently no option to allow the user to select the FSX directory manually.

Not yet implemented:
  • Settings page:
    • Manual FS directory settings.  This should not generally be a problem, unless your registry entries are incorrect.

The FSWC Public Preview will additionally use the fsx.CFG in %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX to determine whether you're using DX9 or DX10, and automatically clear the shader cache in %localappdata%\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Terrain if you're using DX9, or %localappdata%\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\Terrain if you're using DX10.

The support for Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition refers to the fact that FSWC Public Preview will allow versions of FSX newer than Acceleration and SP2 in its version check, as standalone installations of FSX Steam Edition uses the same paths and registry keys (as noted above) as the original boxed versions of FSX.

If you change the SetupPath key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0 to contain the path of FSX Steam Edition, FSWC Public Preview will replace the shaders in FSX Steam Edition; however, you will need to clear the shader cache manually (and adjust the D3D10 value under [GRAPHICS] in the fsx.CFG in %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX appropriately; 0 for DirectX 9 and 1 for DirectX 10).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:30:25 AM by Orion » Logged

walterg74
Small Stream

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 09:42:30 PM »

Thanks.

Not Paul, but I think I can help.

The FS Water Configurator Public Preview will use the registry to determine the location of FSX -- in particular, the SetupPath key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0.  However, as noted in the original post (relevant section quoted below), there is currently no option to allow the user to select the FSX directory manually.

Not yet implemented:
  • Settings page:
    • Manual FS directory settings.  This should not generally be a problem, unless your registry entries are incorrect.

The FSWC Public Preview will additionally use the fsx.CFG in %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX to determine whether you're using DX9 or DX10, and automatically clear the shader cache in %localappdata%\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Terrain if you're using DX9, or %localappdata%\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\Terrain if you're using DX10.

The support for Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition refers to the fact that FSWC Public Preview will allow versions of FSX newer than Acceleration and SP2 in its version check, as standalone installations of FSX Steam Edition uses the same paths and registry keys (as noted above) as the original boxed versions of FSX.

If you change the SetupPath key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0 to contain the path of FSX Steam Edition, FSWC Public Preview will replace the shaders in FSX Steam Edition; however, you will need to clear the shader cache manually (and adjust the D3D10 value under [GRAPHICS] in the fsx.CFG in %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX appropriately; 0 for DirectX 9 and 1 for DirectX 10).

Thanks Orion!

Ok, I think I got it then.

In my case I have a side-by-side install of FSX boxed and FSX Steam Edition.

I had already made some .reg files to account for the add-ons that follow the original keys only, to point to the SE folder.

So in this case, I guess what happens is:

- I have the reg key pointing to by FSX:SE folder
- Water configurator detects this and will correctly install there
- It will however look in Roaming/Microsoft/FSX for fsx.cfg, and so I would need to change that accordingly to math my FSX:SE DX Mode before running configurator
- It will also, after applying the desired profile, delete my shader cache but the one for my boxed fsx! so if I don-t want that to get screwed up, I should rename my Local/Microsoft/FSX to something and my Local/Microsoft/FSX-SE for /FSX

I could like you say delete the cache manually, but that would not stop it from deleting my boxed FSX cache (well, no harm done except rebuilding on next run anyway)

So up to now, even though it installed the plugin correctly, as I had not deleted the cache it did not do anything I could see Smiley

Does that sound about right?

Thanks!!
Orion
Poseidon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 05:38:40 AM »

Thanks Orion!

Ok, I think I got it then.

In my case I have a side-by-side install of FSX boxed and FSX Steam Edition.

I had already made some .reg files to account for the add-ons that follow the original keys only, to point to the SE folder.

So in this case, I guess what happens is:

- I have the reg key pointing to by FSX:SE folder
- Water configurator detects this and will correctly install there
- It will however look in Roaming/Microsoft/FSX for fsx.cfg, and so I would need to change that accordingly to math my FSX:SE DX Mode before running configurator
- It will also, after applying the desired profile, delete my shader cache but the one for my boxed fsx! so if I don-t want that to get screwed up, I should rename my Local/Microsoft/FSX to something and my Local/Microsoft/FSX-SE for /FSX

I could like you say delete the cache manually, but that would not stop it from deleting my boxed FSX cache (well, no harm done except rebuilding on next run anyway)

So up to now, even though it installed the plugin correctly, as I had not deleted the cache it did not do anything I could see Smiley

Does that sound about right?

Thanks!!

Think so.  As you mentioned, FSX will rebuild a cleared shader cache the next time you go for a flight, so it shouldn't make much of a difference whether you rename directories or manually clear the cache.  Since you seem to be into renaming files/directories, I suppose you could do similar by renaming/moving the original %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG, then putting the %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx_se.CFG in its place while you run FSWC Public Preview so you don't need to modify the original fsx.CFG.

walterg74
Small Stream

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 12:14:26 AM »

Think so.  As you mentioned, FSX will rebuild a cleared shader cache the next time you go for a flight, so it shouldn't make much of a difference whether you rename directories or manually clear the cache.  Since you seem to be into renaming files/directories, I suppose you could do similar by renaming/moving the original %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG, then putting the %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx_se.CFG in its place while you run FSWC Public Preview so you don't need to modify the original fsx.CFG.

Ok, got it Yes, I can do that, but it will still look for fsx.cfg and not fsx_se.cfg so still would need to rename it.

One last question though. I had installed the DX 10 fixer, and one of the "fixes" that it implements is to correct the wrong perspective of the sun/moon reflection so that it doesn't narrow to a single point as outlined here in the "Sunsets, Moonsets, Sunrise, Moonrises" section:

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/version-2-6/

However, when it detects a different water file (such as when using a shader, the fswc, etc.) it deactivates it's own water changes/fixes.

Is there a way I can correct this with FSWC?  Cry
walterg74
Small Stream

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 05:08:53 AM »

Ok, got it Yes, I can do that, but it will still look for fsx.cfg and not fsx_se.cfg so still would need to rename it.

One last question though. I had installed the DX 10 fixer, and one of the "fixes" that it implements is to correct the wrong perspective of the sun/moon reflection so that it doesn't narrow to a single point as outlined here in the "Sunsets, Moonsets, Sunrise, Moonrises" section:

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/version-2-6/

However, when it detects a different water file (such as when using a shader, the fswc, etc.) it deactivates it's own water changes/fixes.

Is there a way I can correct this with FSWC?  Cry

Revisiting this old last question... Any chance to get an answer?

Thanks!
Paul Wheeler
Administrator
Poseidon

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »

There will be no way to get that working. The specular reflections from the sun and moon are generated by the water shared. The fswc shader would need a complete rewrite for this.

crash77
Mountain Spring

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »

Tried the link and it said file doesn't exist.  How can I download this program?
Memo
Mountain Spring

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »

Hello all the members
Could you please give me the download link from  FSWC+ , the  one at this address http://bit.ly/1zBfq2N, is no longer valid

Regards
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: